I found a ketogenic recipe for this lovely treat yesterday morning, and it was a must to try it out.
As we know, basic ketogenic dishes incorporate animal products so I always try to replace those ingredients with vegan ones, but first it’s good to follow the original recipe to see the desired texture and taste (in my humble opinion) so the switch of the ingredients is easy to make between vegan and not.
For this cake you need (vegan option in brackets)
- 5 large eggs (switch to vegan by using chia “eggs”)
- 115 grams full-fat cream cheese (switch to vegan by using silken tofu)
- 60 ml melted butter or ghee (switch to vegan by using coconut oil)
- 60 ml heavy cream (switch to vegan by using cream of coconut or any other vegan option you prefer)
- 2 tsp sugar-free vanilla extract (always opt for organic if you can)
- 1 tsp of sugar-free almond extract
- 150 g almond flour
- 100 g granulated Stevia or Erythritol (I guess one could use honey just as well if sugar is not an issue)
- Pinch of sea salt (I used Himalayan salt instead)
- Preheat the oven to 175 C and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Place the eggs, cream cheese, butter, vanilla and almond extract in a large mixing bowl and beat using a hand mixer until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and beat once more until incorporated. You can use freshly grated lemon zest and lemon juice or cinnamon instead of vanilla and almond extract.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan and bake 30-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Optionally dust with some powdered Stevia or Erythritol. Slice and enjoy on it’s own or serve with some whipped cream (switch for vegan option by using soy whipped cream or simply add fruits on the side)
- Store at room temperature for up to two days or in the fridge for up to a week.
Leave a Reply